Saturday, September 18, 2010

Tomato and Chilli Chutney

Today I harvested more food from the greenhouse. We're both huge fans of all things spicy so I decided to make use of my three different types of chillis and some freshly picked tomatoes and green peppers.

Here's my recipe.

2 tbs of olive oil
1 tsp of wholegrain mustard
500g green and red tomatoes, roughly chopped
1 red onion
1/2 green pepper, roughly chopped
3 jalapeno chillis, finely chopped
2 capsicum chillis, finely chopped
1 orange scotch bonnet chilli, finely chopped
250ml malt vinegar
165g granulated sugar
2 tsp fresh ginger


Cooking Method:
  1. Add oil and mustard in a heavy bottomed pan and cook for 2 minutes
  2. Add all other ingredients to the pan and bring to the boil
  3. Simmer for at least 60 minutes or until the chutney has reduced to desired consistency (I like my chutney chunky but thick, so I simmered for 2 hours)
  4. Transfer the hot chutney into a jar/jars and seal
  5. Turn the jar upside down for 2 minutes and flip it back again.
  6. Your chutney is ready to be labelled!
You can either eat it as soon as it's cool or keep it in a dark place for up to 6 months unopened, or a couple of weeks in the fridge once opened.


We've come up with two names for our chutney and we can't decide which one is the best.


"Newman's Naughty Chilli Chutney"
or
"The Roof, The Roof... of Your Mouth Is On Fire"

2 comments:

  1. The latter! that name is genius! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. That one was my idea :) I just ate a bit of the chutney and it's yummy!

    Do you like spicy stuff Samboy? I could send you some x

    ReplyDelete