Here's my recipe.
2 tbs of olive oil
1 tsp of wholegrain mustard
500g green and red tomatoes, roughly chopped
1 red onion
1/2 green pepper, roughly chopped
3 jalapeno chillis, finely chopped
2 capsicum chillis, finely chopped
1 orange scotch bonnet chilli, finely chopped
250ml malt vinegar
165g granulated sugar
2 tsp fresh ginger
- Add oil and mustard in a heavy bottomed pan and cook for 2 minutes
- Add all other ingredients to the pan and bring to the boil
- Simmer for at least 60 minutes or until the chutney has reduced to desired consistency (I like my chutney chunky but thick, so I simmered for 2 hours)
- Transfer the hot chutney into a jar/jars and seal
- Turn the jar upside down for 2 minutes and flip it back again.
- Your chutney is ready to be labelled!
We've come up with two names for our chutney and we can't decide which one is the best.
"Newman's Naughty Chilli Chutney"
"The Roof, The Roof... of Your Mouth Is On Fire"