Monday, October 18, 2010

Genghis Cohn


When I went for my last tattoo sitting, Mike @ Spike At The Art told me about a black comedy film called Genghis Cohn. It fascinated me, so I knew I needed to watch it. He said that he'd once had a copy on VHS and lost it and has never managed to find one again. When I started searching, I realised that copies of this VHS were like gold dust. Mike even said that he'd contacted Robert Linsday who's the main actor, and got a reply from his PA saying that not even he had a copy!


Mike struck me a deal. If I could get the film in any format for him, that my next sitting would be on the house. I took this as a challenge, not an offer!


After doing some searching I managed to get hold of a copy. It's still going to be a good deal even though the VHS was expensive. My sittings are usually £130 and the VHS will save me a few pounds... though not many I must admit.


The film was directed by Elijah Moshinsky and stars Anthony Sher and Robert Lindsay. It's about an ex Nazi concentration camp general who orders the execution of Genghis Cohn, a jewish comedian and ventriloquist. After the war, the Nazi goes to work in a small town as a poile chief but is hantued by the ghost of Genghis Cohn. It's dark, horrifying, hillarious and uncomfortable.
Everything I like in a film.


Now all I have to do is find out how I can get it off VHS and onto DVD so I can keep a copy!

No comments:

Post a Comment